DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY
WASHINGTON , DC, 5 October 1979
NONEXPENDABLE SPECIAL REUSABLE SHIPPING
AND STORAGE CONTAINERS
Section I. INTRODUCTION
1-4. General. Containers must be visually inspected
1-1. Purpose. This bulletin is applicable to nonex-
to insure they are empty. The guidelines for
pendable special reusable shipping and storage
inspection to determine classification are con-
containers managed by the US Army Troop
tained in TB 55-8100-200-24.
Support and Aviation Materiel Readiness Com-
mand (TSARCOM) and provides:
1-5. Classification. Empty containers listed in this
a. Instructions for the reporting of excess,
bulletin will be reported in the appropriate
empty, none expendable special reusable shipping
materiel condition code based on the criteria
and storage containers for aircraft components.
shown in a, b, and c below:
b. A list of nonexpendable special reusable
a. Condition Code A - Serviceable (Issuable
shipping and storage containers in accordance
Without Qualification). See quality assurance
with AR 725-12.
provisions in the applicable special reusable con-
1-2. Scope. a. The provisions of this bulletin are
(1) Interior free of rust or foreign matter.
applicable to Army Activities in CONUS, and
(2) Exterior free of rust and dents; paint
smooth and free of blemishes or abrasions.
(3) Markings clear and legible with noevidence
1-3. Explanation of Terms. a. Nonexpendable spe-
of fading or abrasions.
cial reusable shipping and storage containers are
(4) Matching parts free from defects that
those containers which are:
would affect their strength, assembly, serv-
(1) Designed as shipping and storage contain-
iceability, and durability.
ers for specific items.
(5) Present overall appearance and perfor-
(2) Designed with one or more special features,
mance including, as applicable, mounting flanges,
such as, mounting, restraining, and shock-
shock mounts, gaskets, and skids, are those of a
absorbing devices, pressurizing and pressure relief
new and unused container.
valves, and humidity indicators.
b. Condition Code B-Serviceable (Issuable With
(3) Identified in accordance with MIL-STD-130
and accountable by their assigned national stock
(1) Interior free of stage of corrosion shown in
b. Stages of Corrosion:
3b (2), (3), or (4).
(2) Container does not leak and has no defec-
(1) Stage 1. Discoloration, staining, no direct
tive or missing parts; gaskets or seals are free from
visual evidence of pitting, etching, or other surface
(3) Exterior free of stage of corrosion shown in
(2) Stage 2. Loose rust, black or white corrosion
accompanied by minor etching and pitting of
3b (3), or (4).
(4) Paint in good condition, allowing for normal
weathering and mismatched shades due to
(3) Stage 3. Rust, black or white corrosion
touchup, and showing only minor abrasions or
accompanied singly or in combination with etch-
scratches. Surfaces must be suitable for applica-
ing, pitting, or more extensive surface damage;
tion of required marking.
loose or granular condition.
(5) Exterior of complex, special-designed,
(4) Stage 4. Rust, black or white corrosion
nonexpendable, reusable metal shipping contain-
progressed to the point where fit, wear, function, or
ers are sound and free from large dents (dents not
life of the item has been affected; powdered or scaly
more than 10 dents per section; i.e., top; bottom,
condition, with pits or irregular areas of material
end or side).
removed from surface of item.