Section IV. ENGINE LUBRICATION SYSTEM
ENGINE LUBRICATION SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
(Sheet 1 of 2)
Engine lubrication system consists of:
OIL FILTERS. Removes foreign particles from the engine lubricating
oil. A spin on type which are replaced when necessary.
5. OIL COOLER BYPASS VALVE. Provides immediate lubrication to the
Oil cooler bypass valve
engine when the engine is cold. The valve also provides for continuous
Oil filter bypass valve
lubrication if the oil cooler has a restriction in it.
Oil lines and passages
Oil level switch
6. OIL FILTER BYPASS VALVE. Provides immediate lubrication to the
Oil pressure switch
engine, for a few seconds, when the engine is started cold. The valve
OIL PAN. Seals the bottom of the engine and functions as a reservoir for
also provides the engine with continuous lubrication when the filters are
storing engine lubricating oil. A plug is provided in the bottom for draining
7. OIL LINES AND PASSAGES.
Provide the lubrication system with a
2. OIL PUMP. A gear type driven by a gear on the engine crankshaft. The
means of oil flow.
pump's function is to supply the engine lubrication system with oil flow.
Oil is pulled from the oil pan and sent to the oil cooler.
8. OIL LEVEL SWITCH. Activates a warning light informing the operator
that engine oil level is low.
3. OIL COOLER. Reduces the temperature of the engine lubricating oil by
transferring the heat of the oil to the engine cooling system.
9. OIL PRESSURE SWITCH. Activates a gauge informing the operator of
the running engine oil pressure.
Go on to Sheet 2