f. Adjust backlash of the bevel gear within
specification range to move contact patterns to
correct location in length of gear teeth.
(1) Decrease backlash to move contact
patterns toward toe of the bevel gear
(2) To correct a high contact pattern,
decrease thickness of the shim pack (30)
under retainer (21). When you decrease
the thickness of the shim pack, the drive
pinion will move toward the bevel gear.
(2) Increase backlash to move contact
patterns toward the heel of the bevel gear
(3) Repeat steps b, c, d, and f until contact
patterns are at correct location in length of
g. Install cotter pins (37) between lugs of retaining
(3) To correct a low contact pattern increase
rings (1) and boss of caps (34). Bend ends of
thickness of shim pack (30) under retainer
cotter pins around boss.
(21). When you increase the thickness of
the shim pack, the drive pinion will move
17. INSTALL THRUST SCREW (18).
away from the bevel gear.
a. Rotate carrier in stand and position it with bevel
(4) Install drive pinion (12), retainer (21) and
shims (30) into carrier.
(5) Repeat steps b, c, and d until the contact
patterns are in center between the top and
bottom of gear teeth.