REPAIRS TO ROOF PANEL - Continued
Tape may be used between the patch and the roof sheet instead of sealant.
(6) Remove the patch
(a) De-burr the holes.
(b) Apply adhesive to the inside of the patch.
(c) Apply a continuous bead of sealant between the line of rivet holes and the edge.
(7) Carefully position the patch over the prepared area with rivet holes properly aligned. Apply even pressure to
the patch to squeeze out excess sealant.
(8) Rivet patch to roof panel. Bend any excess patch down over the rail to form a watertight seal.
Full-Width Roof Panel Section.
Damage too extensive to be repaired by patching can be repaired by installing a full-width panel section.
The repair should begin and terminate at the first roof bows beyond the limit of damage. If the
damage extends to the end of the container, begin the repair at the extension plate.
(1) Mark the area of roof panel to be replaced.
(2) Remove the original fasteners from headers and rails as far as the second roof bow beyond the damaged
(3) Cut away the damaged roof sheet using saw. Leave the cut edge flat and free of wrinkles or distortion.