SIDE PANEL - Continued
(4) If the patch is to be fitted over rivets securing a side post in place, remove the rivets to be covered by
the patch. Measure the diameter of the holes and the distance (pitch) between rivets.
(5) Center patch over damage and drill four holes, one in each corner of the patch, 1/2 inch (13 mm) from
the edge. To reduce damage to the foam insulation, use a stop on the drill bit to limit depth of drill to
3/4 inch (20 mm).
(6) Secure the patch with clips or clamps and drill remaining holes around the border of the patch.
Holes should be on 1 inch (25 mm) centers, 1/2 inch (13 mm) from the edge.
(7) Remove the patch.
(8) De-burr the holes.
(9) Apply foam adhesive primer to the inside of the patch.
(10) Apply a continuous bead of sealant to the patch between the line of rivet holes and the edge; OR use
adhesive tape around the inner perimeter of the patch. The tape must be mitered or overlap at the
corners of the patch. Tape should be measured to reach all edges of the patch.
(11) Position patch, align holes and smooth patch to squeeze out excess sealant.
On larger patches, it may be necessary to support the patch with a piece of wood, pressing firmly
until the adhesive is cured.
(12) Rivet patch using appropriate rivets meeting TIR requirements in the corners of the patch, and blind
fasteners around the rest of the periphery of the patch.
(13) If tape was used, trim any excess. Be careful not to score paint.
(14) Replace decals if damaged.
(15) If drive rivets were used, coat with sealant.
Patches At Panel Joint.
(1) After flattening and/or cutting out the damaged area, repair any side post and/or foam insulation
(2) After preparing both patches, remove the rivets which attach the panels in the damaged area.
(3) Install the first patch on top of the underlying side panel. Butt the edge of this patch against the edge of
the existing overlying panel. Secure the edge furthest from the joint, using appropriate blind fasteners.
(4) The second patch should overlap the vertical joint and include a sufficient portion of the first patch to
allow installation of a row of rivets. Use the existing rivet holes as a template for locating holes for the
patches. Fasten the second patch, the first patch and the underlying panel together, using appropriate