SIDE PANEL - Continued
(8) Clamp the replacement panel in place. Mark holes in the trailing and bottom edges of replacement
panel. Drill pilot holes for alignment. Then drill holes.
(9) Remove panel. De-burr holes and clean all mating surfaces. Be certain foam insulation is free from
drilling debris. Apply one coat of adhesive primer to the inside surface of the panel.
(10) Apply barrier tape to the mating surfaces of the replacement panel and the top and bottom rails to
prevent electrolysis. Apply a continuous bead of sealant around the perimeter of the replacement
panel (apply additional beads of sealant if required). Adhesive tape may be used instead of sealant.
Use tape around the perimeter of the mating surfaces. The tape should be mitered or overlap at the
corners of the panel.
(11) Position the replacement panel using clamps. Using plywood blocks if necessary, apply firm, even
pressure to keep the panel flat and to expel excess sealant.
(12) Rivet panel in place using appropriate fasteners meeting TIR requirements at the corners and at 24
inch (600mm) spacing. Using the same type of rivets as were originally installed, insert remaining
rivets into the drilled holes. If alignment is difficult, secure replacement panel in place with adhesive
tape before riveting.
(13) Be sure the perimeter of the panel and fasteners are fully sealed. Replace decals if required.
Coat any drive rivets used with sealant.
Replacement of a Full Panel (Including the Interior Lining Panel).
Remove interior cove molding in area of damaged sidewall.
Remove all rivets securing interior lining to side posts and rails.
Remove interior panel.
Detach all rivets securing damaged exterior panel to side posts and rails. Remove exterior panel.
Remove all damaged insulation between the two panels to be replaced.
Examine side post(s) for damage. Prepare and fit new side post and plastic spacer, if required.
Drill rivet holes in replacement panel to mate with replacement post.
Mark vertical lines of rivet holes from the top and bottom rails and adjoining panel(s) or post frame on
the container to show location.
Follow procedures for replacement of a full panel.
Prepare and position interior replacement panel of the same type and thickness of material as original
panel. Be certain to maintain the original lap pattern. Clip temporarily in place.
Using original rivet holes as guides, drill holes.
Remove replacement lining panel. Be-burr holes and clean all mating surfaces.
Install existing insulating foam if usable.
Position lining panel.
(a) Insert rivets in holes if necessary to maintain alignment.
(b) Secure lining panel using appropriate fasteners.
Replace cove molding. Secure with same type of fasteners as were originally installed.
Apply sealant to the entire perimeter of the lining panel and molding. Verify proper sealing and