This task covers:
General Mechanics Tool Kit (Item 1, App B)
Refrigeration unit shutdown
Welding Shop, Trailer Mounted (Item 3, App B)
Damaged corner fittings must be replaced.
(1) Cut out the damaged fitting (1) along existing welds.
(2) Carefully grind all existing welds back to base metal.
(1) To ensure complete penetration of welds, edges of metal next to fittings should be ground to a 45
To ensure proper engagement of container handling devices, it is important that the distance
between hole centers be the same as it was with the old fitting, and that the fitting is properly
(2) Position corner fitting (1) with gaps of no more than 5/64 in (2 mm) before welding.
(3) When possible, connections to the fitting should be fully welded on both sides of the joint. Welds must
be uniform, free of scale, pin and blow holes, and with full penetration. All welds to corner fittings must