This task covers:
b. Straightening and Welding
d. Sectioning or Full Length Replacement
General Mechanics Tool Kit (Item 1, App B)
Welding Shop, Trailer Mounted (Item 3, App B)
Refrigeration unit shutdown (TM 9-4110-258-13)
Repair by Straightening.
(1) Whenever possible, straighten any dents or distortions mechanically without heating.
(2) If it is necessary to apply heat to assist in straightening, the steel should be heated only to a dull cherry-
red color (1200 or 650 ) and only in damaged area.
Repair by Straightening and Welding.
(1) Straighten the torn area.
(2) Weld the edges of the cut material.
(3) Clean, mask, prime and top coat the repaired area.
Repair by Inserting.
When damage cannot be repaired by straightening, an insert may be installed. The following limitations
Inserts must be a minimum of 6 in (150 mm) in length.
If an insert would end within 6 in (150 mm) of another vertical rail weld, it must be extended to that
If an insert on a top side rail would end within 12 in (300 mm) of a corner fitting, it must be extended to
Inserts must have the same cross sectional profile as the original rail.
Inserts must be fitted flush with the original rail.