(6) Tape cloth patch in the vertical and
horizontal direction so that it will not slip while curing.
a. Wash doors with a detergent solution, rinse and
c. Foam Insulation Repair. If the area to be
allow to dry.
repaired is small (.75 cu. ft. or less), FROTH-PAK Kit 9.5
manufactured by INSTA-FOAM Products, Inc., Joliet,
b. Inspect door lining sheet for damage (rips,
Illinois can be used. Remove damaged foam with a sharp
holes, gashes, loss of foam insulation).
tool and from the area to be patched in such a manner that
a sheet of urethane insulation foam can be easily cut and
c. Inspect door gasket (outer weather seal) for
placed in the area. Snugly fit the replacement foam next
tears, cuts, and other damage.
to the adjacent foam. The replacement foam must be the
same thickness as the adjacent foam and meet the
requirement of Federal Spec HH-I-530A, Type 2, Grade
The door seals are covered in Section
2, Class 1.
VIII. The door hardware is covered in
Section IX. The document holder and
d. Replacement of Door Lining Sheet. See Figure
escape door are covered in Section X.
4-2 for removal and
installation instructions. Install
e. Door Gasket Repair and Replacement.
a. Burn weld off end of hinge pins.
b. Remove hinge pins and door.
To repair or replace a damaged edge,
you will need the following tools: knife,
screwdriver, mallet, scraper blade,
a. Minor Repair of Door Lining Sheet.
brush, saw, hand caulking gun, staple
gun, and a repair kit (SEA-LOK Door
(1) Remove loose chips or particles from edges of
Kit SLRI-8S70, Metal-wood (Co.).
(1) Carefully remove corner of mitered corner
(2) Roughen entire surface around damaged area
tabs with sharp knife then peel off with assistance of knife
in order to allow parching material to stick better.
(3) Use repair kit Glass Reinforced Plastic
(2) At the mitered corner, insert screw driver tip
into the joint, prying under the web of the plastic channel.
epoxy furnished in kit according to instructions furnished.
When end is loosened, pull off edging with peel back
technique, prying with screwdriver as required to break
loose. (See View B).
b. Major Repair of Door Lining Sheet (Up to 144
(3) Prepare the panel edge for replacement by
scraping off old adhesive sealant; then brush off all loose
(1) Remove loose chips or particles from edges
(4) Replace corner filler tables, using staple or
other small fastener, carefully locating tab on center of
(2) Remove damaged foam insulation and
edge; then caulk as shown (See View C).
(5) Cut replacement edge extrusion to size by
(3) Roughen entire surface around damaged
first mitering one end with saw at approximately a 45
area to improve adherence properties of patching material.
angle; then, from the opposite end fit to door edge so that
(4) Use repair kit Glass Reinforced Plastic
you allow approximately 1/8" clearance at each end (See
Laminate MILR19907 (NSN 2090-00-372-6054). Apply
View D, ref. 1/8" gap).
the low viscosity epoxy to cloth (furnished in kit) cut to a
(6) When door edge is ready for application of
size at least 2 to 3 inches greater in each direction of the
edging, apply 3/16" diameter beads of SEA-LOK
hole to be covered.
Adhesive Sealant 58-S-1 at the midpoints of the inside
(5) Affix cloth patch over damaged area.
walls of the rigid channel. (See illustration on Cartridge